Implants are a popular dental treatment thanks to advances in modern dentistry. Using cutting-edge technology and techniques, most implants have a very high success rate and will last a lifetime if properly cared for. They are not only used for replacing one tooth but can replace multiple teeth as an alternative to dentures.
Who Can Get Implants?
Implants are a solution for a missing tooth or teeth that are damaged or decayed beyond repair. It is a titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jawbone beneath the gum line. A crown, or the replacement tooth, is then affixed to the implant.
Adults and teens whose jaws are fully developed can take advantage of this procedure. Patients should also have healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant.
What’s So Great About Implants?
While dentures and dental bridges are certainly an option for missing teeth, implants have advantages over the dental appliances that are appealing to patients. For example:
- Implants offer a permanent, natural solution. They function and feel like your natural teeth.
- They blend in with the rest of your teeth and are unnoticeable.
- For a single missing tooth, you’ll only have to treat and replace one tooth. A dental bridge requires the use of adjacent teeth, which will need to be ground down to hold the bridge in place.
- Dentures and dental bridges require extra cleaning and have a shorter lifespan.
- Implants are cared for just like your natural teeth, with daily brushing and flossing and regular checkups.
Besides these benefits, implants play an integral role in your overall dental health. When you are missing teeth, the teeth next to the gap can shift out of position and cause pain and issues with your bite. It’s important to consider your long-term oral health when deciding on any kind of dental treatment.
If you are considering implants, please call our office for an appointment to discuss how implants can help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.