Are Dental Implants Right For You?
Despite improvements in dental care, millions of Americans still incur tooth loss, mostly due to tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury. For many years, the only solutions to these problems were the use of crowns, bridges, and dentures. Thankfully, today we also have dental implants. A dental implant is a high-tech replacement tooth that mimics the whole tooth structure. A titanium post is surgically inserted into the jawbone beneath the gum line and then a crown, or the replacement tooth, is affixed to the implant.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental implants are durable and long lasting. With proper care and maintenance, they can last many years and even a lifetime!
- Dental implants have a natural feel and comfortable fit. They look and feel like your own teeth. Because they eventually fuse with the jawbone, they become permanent, which eliminates the discomfort experienced with a treatment like dentures.
- Dental implants are cared for just like natural teeth with daily maintenance of brushing and flossing along with regular trips for cleanings by a dentist. There is no need for special cleanings or products.
- Dental implants can conserve your jawbone and preserve your appearance. With the options of a fixed bridge or dentures that are not implant supported, you are running the risk of your jawbone deteriorating due to lack of stimulation from a tooth root. When the jawbone begins to deteriorate, it can leave your face to appear sunken in. Dental implant posts provide the stimulation your body needs to produce healthy jawbone material and keep your face looking full and youthful.
- Dental implants allow for easier eating. Since implants are secured to your jawbone like natural teeth, there are no food restrictions. They allow you to eat your favorite foods comfortably and without pain.
Besides these benefits, implants play an integral role in your overall dental health. It’s important to consider your long-term oral health when deciding on any kind of dental treatment. Dental implants provide excellent long-term value and can be a terrific investment in long-term care.
If you are considering implants, please call our office for an appointment to discuss how implants can help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. We are located in Terre Haute, IN and look forward to hearing from you soon.